Housing Accommodations

University Housing is committed to meeting the needs of all residents, to the best of its ability, by providing an inclusive, respectful and safe living environment. University Housing takes these concerns very seriously.

Disability Accommodations

University Housing strives to provide equal access to housing for all residents in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA), the Fair Housing Act, and other applicable federal and state regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability.

The Office of Disability Resources (ODR) is the designated office to determine reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and must include sufficient documentation meeting university guidelines and address the impact of the disability supporting the need for housing accommodations. Neither the presence of a disability nor approval for a housing accommodation guarantee on-campus housing.

Both on-campus housing and housing accommodations must be applied for on an annual basis.

Assistance Animals

Per the University's Animals on Campus policy, animals that assist individuals with disabilities to fully access and participate within the residential community may be approved to live within the residence halls.

Individuals requesting a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal within University Housing must:

  1. Complete the applicable ODR procedure for requesting accommodations.
  2. Receive specific animal approval. Required information for the animal shall include veterinarian certification (See Animal Guidelines and Expectations for further information regarding this certification) and a color photograph of the animal.
  3. Agree to adhere to the University's Animal Guidelines and Expectations .

If the request is approved, University Housing will contact the resident and, if applicable, roommate or suitemates via their Appalachian email account to electronically sign the Animal Guidelines and Expectations. Once the process is fully completed, ODR will send official notification via the resident's Appalachian email account that the animal can begin residing in University Housing.

Residents who are uncomfortable living in close proximity to an assistance animal should contact University Housing to discuss options, including possible reassignment.

Gender Considerations

Students who need housing considerations due to gender-related needs should complete the Gender Consideration Form, which is under the Forms tab on the University Housing Portal .

We offer some gender-inclusive housing options to ensure that University Housing is a supportive space for residents of all gender identities and gender expressions (Definition: For the purpose of gender-inclusive housing, gender non-conforming is a term for individuals whose gender expression is different from societal expectations related to gender. Gender expression is how a person represents or expresses one's gender identity to others, often through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, voice or body characteristics).

All options listed above are preferences and there is no guarantee that any or all preferences can be met. University Housing will determine the best housing assignment based upon available options.