Current on-campus students who plan to live on campus for the 2022-2023 academic year must go through the Reapplication process by following the steps below.
Sign up for the Reapplication process:
- Application is open December 1, 2021 - February 6, 2022.
- Submit your electronic housing application via the University Housing StarRez portal .
- Completing the housing application does not obligate you to live on campus; it gives you the opportunity to select on-campus housing if you receive an invitation to do so later in the Reapplication process.
- If you would like to room with a specific individual or group of individuals for the following academic year you must create a roommate group prior to Reapplication closing February 6. You will not be able to preference a roommate at the time you select a space. Note, you will not be able to modify, create, or delete roommate groups once the Reapplication process closes.
Once the application period closes:
- Invitations to select a room will be sent via Appalachian State University email beginning mid-February.
- If you receive an invitation, you will have 48 hours to log in and select a room. If you do not select a room within 48 hours your invitation will expire and you will not have on-campus housing.
- If you receive an invitation and wish to accept, simply log into the University Housing StarRez portal and choose an available room. You must read and agree to the Residence Hall License Contract during this process.
- While continuing students invited to the selection process will have the opportunity to choose from a variety of room types, they may not be able to select from all building options. Most halls within the campus core will be held for incoming first-year students, transfer students, and those with priority housing status.
- Once you choose a room you are contractually obligated to live on campus for the duration of the academic year (both Fall and Spring semesters). There will be a $250 non-refundable cancellation fee charged to the student's account if the student requests release from their Residence Hall License Contract from the time that it is signed through June 30. Beginning July 1, cancellations will require payment of the full fall semester housing fee.
Residential Learning Community (RLC) exceptions to consider:
- RLC application is open December 1, 2021 - February 6, 2022.
- RLC acceptance notifications will be sent via Appalachian email beginning in January.
- All students accepted to an RLC are required to respond and confirm their acceptance via Appalachian email within 48 hours.
- All students who confirm their RLC acceptance will forfeit their chance of receiving an invitation to live elsewhere on campus.
Common Reapplication Questions
How and when do I sign up?
Current on-campus students wishing to sign up for Reapplication must log into the University Housing StarRez portal using their Appalachian State University username and password. Those eligible for Reapplication will be directed to the first step of the entry process. Should a student be ineligible for the Reapplication process they will be presented with a message informing them of their ineligibility. Students may sign up for Reapplication at any time during the application period.
How long does Reapplication last?
Invitations will be sent via Appalachian email until the last available space for returning students has been filled.
What are my chances of receiving an invitation?
Students who receive invitations to select a room are chosen from the Reapplication applicant pool by the StarRez system. The chance of any individual student being selected to receive an invitation is entirely dependent upon the number of available spaces and the number of students who choose to reapply for on-campus housing that particular year. Students with housing-related scholarships, Honors students, continuing Residential Learning Community students, and current University Housing employees are prioritized in the selection process. We offer a greater percentage of invitations to rising second-year students than upperclass students during the selection process.
Can I choose the room that I want? How can I increase my chances of getting the building/room that I want?
Yes, provided that the room you want has not already been chosen by another student or is otherwise unavailable for Reapplication. Upon logging into the University Housing StarRez portal, students will be presented with a list of residence halls with available spaces. If a room or residence hall is missing from this list, then that space/building is no longer available for Reapplication. Since the Reapplication process operates on a "first-come, first-served" basis, students may increase the likelihood of getting the building/room that they want by checking their Appalachian email account frequently and responding to any invitation as quickly as possible. Most halls within the campus core will be held for incoming First-Year students.
What if I am unable to obtain housing on campus?
Appalachian State University provides assistance to students seeking other forms of off-campus housing through the Office of Off-Campus Student Services . Students may contact their office at (828) 262-8284.