Important Dates & Times
- Incoming new freshmen and transfer students who have orientation on January 10, 2018 will obtain their room keys at the main office of their assigned residence hall and move into their assigned rooms on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 from 1pm - 4pm.
- Incoming new freshmen and transfer students who have orientation on January 11, 2018 will obtain their room keys at the main office of their assigned residence hall and move into their assigned rooms on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 from 1pm - 4pm.
- Continuing students may begin to return to their assigned rooms on Friday, January 12, 2018.
- Students may check into their assigned rooms anytime AFTER their assigned time until January 16, 2018 at 6pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I pack my things to make moving in easier?
In order to be certain that your belongings make it to your room safely, please follow these guidelines when packing:
- Pack everything in a box, suitcase, or storage bin. Loose items are more likely to get lost and create more trips back and forth. In addition, in the event of inclement weather, your belongings will be much safer in a box than on their own!
- Size matters (and weight too)! Remember that, in a lot of cases, you will be using stairs and not elevators to move your belongings. You will likely want to avoid bulky or particularly heavy items.
- Plan for your shopping in Boone! Remember that you don't need to buy everything before you get here. Sometimes you will even have a better idea of what you need once you are here.
- Communicate! Make sure that you have talked with your roommate and made an effort to avoid duplicating items for your room. This will not only save you trips but will save time and money as well!
- Be informed! Make sure that you have read the Residence Hall License Contract and know what is and is not allowed in your room. Again, this will save time and effort for everyone.
Where do I go when I arrive on campus to move in?
For Spring semester, students will go directly to the main office of their assigned residence hall to obtain their room key.
Where do I park?
Parking questions should be directed to the ASU Parking & Traffic office at (828)262-2878.
When can I move in?
This information will be emailed to your ASU email account along with your specific room assignment in December.
Any tips for moving in?
Bring along a dolly or handcart to make moving in easier - this will help you to move more items at once and reduce the overall number of trips back and forth. If you live within a 3-hour drive of Appalachian, consider bringing just the essentials along with enough clothing for 2 weeks. After a couple of weeks, you will have a better idea of what you really need and what can realistically fit in your room. You can then either go home to get these things or have a family member bring them to you.
Which residence halls have elevators?
All residence halls have elevators, with the exception of East and Justice halls which are no more than 4 stories high.
Service Desk Hours for Spring Move-In
- December 7, 2017: Last day of package delivery to desks
- December 14, 2017: Desks will close early at 5:00pm
- December 15, 18-22, 2017: Desks open for limited hours (8:00am - 5:00pm)
- December 22, 2017: Desk close at 5:00pm for Winter Break
- Desks reopen with limited hours on January 8, 2018:
- 1/8 - 1/10: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- January 11, 2018: (Regular schedule begins, desks resume accepting packages)
- Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:30pm
- Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 11:30pm