The Resident Assistant Position
The Resident Assistant (RA) is responsible for a floor or living area within a residence hall at Appalachian State University. As the front-line University Housing staff member in the assigned area, the RA is responsible for serving as a mentor and guide to 30-60 residents. The RA is responsible for facilitating a cooperative and considerate community environment. To achieve this goal, the RA is expected to initiate relationships with residents, encourage participation in hall and area programs, and inform residents of university and departmental policies. In addition, the RA assists with the personal and academic concerns of students, mediates interpersonal conflicts, and serves as an information resource for residents.
In order to receive and maintain the RA position candidates must meet the following qualifications from the submission of their application until either the end of their appointment, termination, or resignation from the RA position.
- Successful completion of a background check administered by University Housing
- Maintain full-time enrollment at Appalachian State University
- Maintain a cumulative and semester grade point average of 2.50 or above
- Maintain good standing with the Office of Student Conduct
- Comply with all other University Housing, Appalachian State University, and UNC System policies
- Manage multiple job duties simultaneously
- Complete tasks with competing deadlines in a timely manner
- Appropriately address difficult situations where conflict and crisis are present
- Maintain critical thinking skills during stressful situations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Engage in conversation with diverse populations and skill sets
Resident Assistants are compensated with an hourly rate for each hour worked in the RA role, with total compensation equaling $7,160 (2019-2020 figure) for new RAs. Payments are every two weeks beginning in August and ending in May. Please note that certain RA positions carry additional responsibilities and provide additional compensation.
RA employment at Appalachian is "employment at will." That is, just as you may resign from your employment with Appalachian at any time and for any reason, Appalachian may also terminate your employment at any time.
Full Position Description:
All files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.