Move-In Dates & Times
The Appalachian Community looks forward to your arrival for the Fall 2021 semester! In mid-late July, you will receive information from University Housing about your room assignment and move-in time.
Fall 2021 Move-In is planned for Monday, August 9, through Thursday, August 12. New incoming first year and transfer students will log into the University Housing portal and can find the sign-up under the "Other Processes" tab. These students may then choose from the following timeslots: 8-10am, 10am - 12pm, 12-2pm, and 2-4pm on each day. If a timeslot or date is full, students will need to make arrangements and choose an available date and/or time. Approved groups with set move-in times will not need to sign up for a timeslot (Marching Mountaineers, Fall Athletes, Trailhead) as their move-in is already scheduled with their groups. University Housing will not accommodate requests for early arrivals.
New incoming first years and Transfer students may arrive any time during their timeslot. Please note that all students will only have 20 minutes to unload their belongings from their vehicles. After 20 minutes, students and/or families are expected to move their vehicles to satellite parking so others can pull up to the hall to unload. They may return to the building via AppalCart to continue unpacking their rooms.
Timeslots can be completed and edited through July 1, 2021. In mid-July, assignments and move-in times will be emailed to each student's @appstate.edu email address. At that same time, timeslots will reopen for edits by students as needed until July 25, 2021.
After July 25, rosters for AppolCorps will be assembled based on each student's housing assignment and move-in date. Therefore, students who do not arrive during their scheduled move-in timeslot will risk missing their AppolCorps experience. For this reason, as well as managing traffic on campus, students who miss their move-in timeslots should plan to arrive any time from August 13 - 15.
Continuing students will not be signing up for move-in times and can plan to arrive any time from August 13 - 15. Continuing students cannot arrive prior to August 13 unless they are with a specific, scheduled group.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status / Re-Entry Testing
Before moving in, all students who live in campus residence halls are required to:
- Submit their COVID-19 vaccination record into their MedPortal account (showing your status as being fully vaccinated ); OR,
- Submit a negative PCR (molecular) or antigen (rapid) COVID-19 test into their MedPortal account . This COVID-19 test should be conducted within five days (120 hours) prior to arrival on campus and have a negative test result. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to take an additional COVID-19 test prior to move-in, and you will be included in a group required to participate in randomized, weekly COVID-19 testing throughout the year.
When students submit their vaccination record or negative test result, they receive an email confirmation from Student Health Services to their @appstate.edu email account. You must show hall staff this confirmation in order to begin the check-in process.
|If you are moving in on:||If you are fully vaccinated : Submit your COVID-19 vaccination record to MedPortal:||If you are not fully vaccinated : Submit your negative COVID-19 test results to MedPortal:|
|Aug. 9||By Aug. 9||Between Aug. 4-9|
|Aug. 10||By Aug. 10||Between Aug. 5-10|
|Aug. 11||By Aug. 11||Between Aug. 6-11|
|Aug. 12||By Aug. 12||Between Aug. 7-12|
|Aug. 13||By Aug. 13||Between Aug. 8-13|
|Aug. 14||By Aug. 14||Between Aug. 9-14|
|Aug. 15||By Aug. 15||Between Aug. 10-15|
- Where to get vaccinated: COVID-19 vaccinations are now available for all individuals ages 12 and older. Students can book vaccine appointments with Student Health Services by calling (828)262-3100 or can use the NCDHHS Vaccine Finder . All COVID-19 vaccines are administered free of charge.
- Where to get tested: The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) maintains a list of testing sites , including no-cost testing events, in the State of North Carolina. If you have trouble finding a testing site near you, please contact App State's Wellness and Prevention Services . They will assist you in connecting with testing resources prior to your arrival on campus.
- Cost of testing: The cost of COVID-19 testing varies by provider and insurance plan. Student Blue Insurance covers the required re-entry COVID-19 testing with no copay. If you can't afford a test, be sure to check the NCDHHS list of no-cost testing events . Contact App State's Wellness and Prevention Services if you need additional assistance.
- Compliance: If you fail to comply with University Housing's testing requirements and are not allowed to move in, you will still be responsible for payment of your housing bill in full unless you withdraw from the University or have received an approved exemption.
- Further questions? Contact App State's Wellness and Prevention Services .
Requirements for Unvaccinated Individuals
Residential students who do not submit a vaccination record:
- Are required to wear a face covering in all indoor public settings.
- Will be included in a group subject to randomized, mandatory weekly testing. Students will be notified about dates/times in advance.
- Will be subject to public health quarantine/isolation requirements.
Visit the University's COVID-19 Vaccines page for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about face coverings, physical distancing, and sanitizing during move-in?
University Housing will continue to follow guidelines for COVID-19 mitigation as updated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public health, and the UNC System. The University's coronavirus information can be found on the AppState Coronavirus Information page.
Will there be volunteers to help with my move-in?
Faculty, staff, and students will be on hand to assist students and their families during move-in and to navigate traffic and unloading zones. Since unloading zones are only for 20-minute drop off, visiting drivers are asked to stay with their vehicle during the drop-off process. Once a vehicle has been emptied, drivers are directed to satellite parking to remove the car from the main campus.
It is important to label EVERY box, bag, and loose item with the student's name, room number, and residence hall as you may not be carrying everything that belongs to you to your room.
Who can be present during Move-In?
There are currently no limits on the number of people who can accompany students for Move-In. However, we recommend limiting the number to four guests as there is limited space in the residence hall rooms and limited parking for multiple vehicles. Visitors and guests must follow the University's COVID-19 policies listed on the AppState Coronavirus Information page.
Will refreshments be provided?
University Housing does not provide water and snacks. We encourage you to bring your own water bottle. Refill stations will be available in some of the residence halls.
Which residence halls have elevators?
All of the residence halls, with the exception of East Hall, have elevators.
How should I pack my things?
In order to be certain that your belongings make it to your room, please follow these guidelines when packing:
- Consider bringing a dolly or handcart to make moving in easier.
- Clearly label your belongings with your full name, residence hall, and room number. Include labels on everything and make them easily visible.
- Pack everything in a box, suitcase, or storage bin. Loose items are more likely to get lost and create more trips back and forth. In addition, in the event of inclement weather your belongings will be much safer in a box than on their own!
- Size matters (and weight too)! Remember that, in a lot of cases, you will be using stairs and not elevators to move your belongings.
- Communicate! Make sure that you have talked with your roommate and made an effort to avoid duplicating items for your room.
- Be informed! Make sure that you review the list of approved/prohibited items and know what is and is not allowed in your room. Again, this will save time and effort for everyone!
Where do I go when I arrive on campus to move in?
When families arrive for move-in, there are a multitude of highly visible yellow/black signs posted along the roadways. The signs come in two varieties, one being for WEST CAMPUS and the other for EAST CAMPUS. Families may also use this interactive campus map to navigate campus. To do so, open the link and check Fall Move-In, which is located under the Locations tab on the left side of the screen.
Residence halls on the WEST CAMPUS are: Appalachian Heights, Belk, Bowie, Eggers, Frank, Laurel Creek, LLC, Mountaineer, Newland, Raven Rocks, and Thunder Hill.
- Appalachian Heights, LLC, and Mountaineer Halls will check in directly at their hall.
- Halls in the Stadium area of campus (Belk, Bowie, Eggers, Frank, Laurel Creek, Newland, Raven Rocks, and Thunder Hill) will check in at the Peacock Parking Lot .
- Drivers will then be directed to a staging area to await further instructions.
- At the lot, there will be a tent where residents will be given a check-in packet after their photo ID is provided and verified.
- Residents will report to Peacock Parking Lot first and then be released to their specific building as parking spaces are available and building capacity is appropriate for additional students.
Residence Halls on the EAST CAMPUS are: Cannon, Cone, Dogwood, Doughton, East, Elkstone, Mountain Laurel, Summit, and White. The EAST CAMPUS signs provide directions to Hardin Street. From there, additional signs are in place to divide traffic appropriately. Specifically:
- Mountain Laurel Hall should drive directly to that building.
- Cone/Elkstone/White Hall traffic is turned onto Locust Street.
- Cannon/Dogwood/Doughton Hall traffic is directed to the Legends parking lot.
- East Hall traffic is turned onto Dauph Blan Street.
Students on EAST CAMPUS will check in at their assigned residence hall. Here each student will be given a check-in packet after their photo ID is provided and verified.
What will happen at check-in?
When you check in, you will be required to present three items:
- QR code (included on your room assignment notice)
- Your photo ID
- Your verification email from Student Health Services that authorizes you to check in based on your vaccination status or negative COVID-19 test resutls
Once checked in, you will receive your room key.
Where do I get my AppCard?
If you don't already have your AppCard, you should get it immediately after you check into your residence hall. Your AppCard serves as your key to enter your residence hall and it is also what you use to pay for your meals on campus.
- Residence halls remain locked 24 hours per day and University Housing staff cannot access your AppCard.
- You can pick up your AppCard in advance of your move-in day if you are in the Boone area.
- Monday, Aug. 9 - Thursday, Aug. 12 from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 13 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Aug. 14 from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
After Aug. 14, visit the Campus Services Express desk during regular hours with all AppCard questions.
Where do I park once I find my move-in area?
The driver of the vehicle is directed upon entering the appropriate area for unloading. Upon completing the unloading process, vehicles on WEST CAMPUS will be directed to the Greenwood parking lot near Appalachian Heights residence hall. Vehicles on EAST CAMPUS will be directed to the State Farm parking lot off campus where shuttle buses will be available to bring them back to campus and return them later to their cars. Please see the campus parking map for further information. To do so, open the link and check Fall Move-In, which is located under the Locations tab on the left side of the screen.
Construction on the west side of campus requires vehicles to exit (after unloading) at Stadium Drive. At the bottom of the hill, they will turn left onto Rivers Street. At Bodenheimer Drive, vehicles will turn left and follow it to the Greenwood parking lot (just past the Appalachian House).
Vehicles on EAST CAMPUS will exit unloading zones using Hardin Street and proceed down Blowing Rock Rd. (US Route 321) to Shadowline Drive. They will turn left on Shadowline Dr. and continue straight onto Dale Street. The State Farm parking lot will be on the right, approximately 0.2 miles passed the Dale St. intersection.
What will first-year students do between move in and the start of classes?
All first-year students will participate in Welcome to App! with their assigned AppolCorps Leader after their assigned move-in times. Welcome to App! is a continuation of new student orientation and all first-year students are expected to attend.
You will receive an email at your @appstate.edu email account with details on when and where to meet your AppolCorps Leader.
During Welcome to App! you will create connections with peers, find useful resources, and develop the capacity to succeed at Appalachian State. You will also receive a copy of the common reading book, and advising planner, and your "A" first-year lapel pin. For more details, visit the Welcome to App! website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be able to join in on any of the Welcome to App! activities throughout the week. A full calendar of events can be found on the Welcome to App! website.