Recycling & Sustainability
A Leader In Sustainability
With 20 buildings encompassing over 5,500 students and a combined professional and student staff of over 250 employees, University Housing chooses to promote environmental consciousness and to educate students and staff alike. With a strong commitment to sustainability through activities and initiatives, University Housing works every day to bring positive change to the campus. For more information about sustainability efforts within University Housing, please contact Melanie Tester at (828) 262-6112 or fax your request to (828) 262-2945.
Some examples of University Housing's commitment to sustainability are:
- Several of our recently renovated buildings - Cone, Frank, and Mountaineer halls - have received LEED Gold certification.
- Renovations and new campus construction projects strive to meet U.S. Green Building Council LEED Certification standards .
- All residence halls utilize water-saving showers, faucets, and toilets as well as energy-saving light fixtures.
- All appliances in our residence halls are EPA Energy Star compliant.
- All University Housing housekeeping cleaning products are biodegradable and green seal certified .
- Residents have the opportunity to participate in projects designed to reduce environmental impact.
- Ample numbers of bicycle racks are located across campus for students' convenience.
- The AppalCART local bus system provides students with an alternative transportation option with stops convenient to the residence halls, academic buildings, and local shopping areas.
- The Living Green residential learning community offers students the opportunity to continue their education on sustainable practices in a residential setting.