Language & Culture
The Language & Culture community is for students who want to practice and expand their knowledge of the global community. Both American and International students who know and enjoy learning foreign languages and who enjoy experiencing the customs and cultures of countries from around the globe are encouraged to join this unique shared academic experience. Special features of this community include: peer study groups, foreign language suites, discussion groups speaking a foreign language and close interaction with international students, as well as Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures faculty.
Members of Language & Culture will have the opportunity to:
- Explore a variety of cultures including Japanese, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and German
- Practice foreign language skills
- Attend Appalachian State University cultural events
- Interact informally with faculty inside and outside of the classroom
Members of Language & Culture will be expected to:
- Enroll in a special section of First Year Seminar
- Complete a set of core experiences determined during orientation
- Plan and participate in community activities and events
- Personalize the community by helping decorate individual doors and bulletin boards
- Possess an openness to diverse individuals and cultures
- Become involved in developing community standards and planning the future of the community
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures
The Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures offers a variety of courses that enhance students' understanding and appreciation of other cultures and languages as well as their own. In addition to the broad knowledge base acquired through these courses, students will understand that language and culture are inseparable. Upon fulfilling the Department's requirements for undergraduate or graduate programs, students will be adequately prepared for lifelong learning in a multicultural world.
International Education and Development
International Education and Development believes that Appalachian's campus extends beyond its physical boundaries to reach across the globe. Our international focus includes international student admissions, study abroad programs, visiting exchange scholars and faculty and 41 institutional partnerships in over 17 countries. As a result, the Appalachian family is a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff from around the world.
If you have any questions about an RLC please let us know!
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (828)262-8656
I have enjoyed living among similarly minded people. Everyone in the Language & Culture community is interested in a foreign language and/or culture, and most want to go into a career that has something to do with that language or culture. I also love knowing that a study buddy is just a few rooms down the hall.Blaire, Language & Culture
Rm. 321, John E. Thomas Hall
P.O. Box 32111
287 Rivers St.
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: (828) 262-2160
Fax: (828) 262-2945