How do you define "active"? Are you a student who enjoys engaging in physically energetic pursuits? If you want to incorporate an active lifestyle in your academic success, the Active Living residential learning community is for you. We are a group that shares a passion for events including fitness, cooking, nutrition, outdoor adventure and the psychology of a healthy mind. We embrace all that Appalachian State University has to offer and we share in those experiences. The Active Living community will help you explore and build your inner self through a lifestyle designed for happy minds and happy bodies.
Members of Active Living will be required to:
- Successfully complete the "About our Trails" Active Living First Year Seminar
- Actively engage with Faculty-In-Residence Dr. Thomas Mueller (Active Living advisor)
- Participate in a move-in orientation event
- Participate in community activities and events
- Work with the Resident Assistant to develop community standards
- Participate in selected opportunities provided by University Recreation
- Model healthy behaviors and set an example for other students
- Volunteer for RLC community service
Department of Wellness & Prevention Services
The Department of Wellness & Prevention Services offers services promoting health awareness and active lifestyles, helping students make choices to facilitate a better quality of life by making healthy decisions. It is an extension of Student Health Services and is Appalachian State University's central resource for health education information, programs, events, and services.
University Recreation provides structured and unstructured leisure time activities for students. It is through these activities that students learn lifelong skills that contribute to their social, physical, emotional and intellectual growth and development.
Counseling & Psychological Services
The Counseling & Psychological Services Center supports the mission of Appalachian State University and the Division of Student Affairs in the academic, vocational, emotional, social and cultural development of students. The Counseling Center's goal is to assist the university community in maximizing the personal growth and development of its members.