Black Male Excellence Initiative
Welcome to Appalachian State University's Black Male Excellence Initiative (BMEI). Led by faculty and staff, the BMEI strives to create a welcoming community at App State where all members can explore their authentic selves, feel a strong sense of belonging, and develop personally, academically and professionally.
Opportunities to Engage
BMEI members have the opportunity to engage in a number of activities designed to:
- Foster a community of respect;
- Explore and evaluate personal interests and careers;
- Work with the Resident Assistant to develop community standards; and
- Develop connections with faculty, staff, and students associated with the Office of Intercultural Student Affairs, Department of Wellness and Prevention Services, as well as the Student Learning Center, other departments, and stakeholders.
Expectations of Members
BMEI members are expected to:
- Actively engage with the BMEI staff leadership team,
- Participate in community and campus-sponsored events and activities,
- Support the academic success of community members,
- Become involved in developing community standards and planning the future of the community, and
- Enroll in the BMEI-designated section of US 1001 - College Success seminar.
Benefits of Membership
BMEI members enjoy a number of benefits, including:
- Stronger sense of community and belonging
- Enhanced academic achievement
- Personal growth and career path development
- Increased self-confidence and a more holistic approach to life's journey
A number of university departments, offices and centers sponsor the BMEI.
Appalachian State University prepares students to lead purposeful lives as engaged global citizens who understand their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The Office of Admissions furthers this mission by recruiting, admitting, and enrolling a diverse and competitive body of undergraduate students whose experiences and talents benefit the Appalachian community. As the front door to Appalachian, our leadership in service and collaboration with campus partners sets the tone for the unique experience awaiting future Mountaineers.
Belk Library and Information Commons
The University Libraries support and foster a respectful, supportive, and inclusive educational and social learning environment and experiences for students through services, collections, teaching, learning, and technology. For more information on services and resources, please explore Belk Library's website or get in touch with the First Year Experience Librarian.
Office of Diversity
The Office of Diversity is committed to creating a campus environment where everyone can voice their opinions, express their differences and celebrate shared values in the spirit of mutual respect and with the goal of greater understanding. We offer a wide variety of educational programs, cultural events and community-building activities throughout the year, inviting all Mountaineers to be present and engaged as their authentic selves.
The Division of Student Affairs develops lifelong learners and leaders by engaging and challenging students within a culture of care and inclusion, aspiring to transform all students through a foundation of care and engagement. We affirm the importance of an inclusive community where all are valued and respected, and we provide a safe, supportive environment that values the identities, beliefs and abilities of all people, while also acknowledging the complexity of our United States history.
Student Learning Center
The Student Learning Center serves students in gaining a deeper awareness of what helps them learn and succeed through tutoring, academic strategy instruction, and executive skill development. We provide holistic support for all students at Appalachian State University, empowering them to become active participants in a transformative education to meet their academic goals and achieve their academic potential.