Current students who plan to live on campus for the 2015-2016 academic year must go through the Housing Reapplication process by following the steps below.
Complete the online housing application:
- Application is open January 12 - 31.
- Log into the Housing Management System.
- Read and agree to the Residence Hall License Contract.
- Complete and submit your online housing application.
- Completing the online housing application does not obligate you to live on campus; it gives you the opportunity to select on-campus housing if you receive an invitation to do so later in the Housing Reapplication process.
Once the application period closes:
- Invitations to live on campus will be sent via ASU email daily from February 9 - 13.
- If you receive an invitation and wish to accept, simply log into the Housing Management System, choose an available room and, if applicable, invite a roommate.
- Once you choose a room you are contractually obligated to live on campus for the duration of the 2015-2016 academic year (both Fall and Spring semesters). For information about choosing to live off-campus after choosing a room in on-campus housing, please refer to Section XVIII of the Residence Hall License Contract.
- If you receive an invitation, you will have 48 hours to log in and select a room. If you do not select a room within 48 hours your invitation will expire and you will have to wait and apply for the waiting list (available March 1).
Residential Learning Community (RLC) exceptions to consider:
- RLC application is open January 12 - 31.
- RLC acceptance notifications will be sent via ASU email beginning January 31.
- All students accepted to an RLC are required to respond and confirm their acceptance via ASU email within 48 hours.
- All students who confirm their RLC acceptance will forfeit their chance of receiving an invitation to live elsewhere on campus.
Common Housing Reapplication Questions
How and when do I sign up?
Students wishing to sign up for Housing Reapplication must log into the Housing Management System using their AppalNET or myApp username and password. Those eligible for the Housing Reapplication process will be directed to the first step of the entry process. Should a student be ineligible for the Housing Reapplication process they will be presented with a message informing them of their ineligibility. Students may sign up for Housing Reapplication anytime during the time period noted at the top of this page.
How long does Housing Reapplication last?
Invitations will be sent beginning on the date noted at the top of this page and continuing until the last available space for returning students has been filled.
What are my chances of receiving an invitation?
Students who receive invitations to select a room are randomly chosen from the Housing Reapplication applicant pool by the Housing Management System. The chances of any individual student being selected to receive an invitation is entirely dependent upon the number of available spaces and the number of students who choose to reapply for on-campus housing that particular year.
Can I choose the room that I want? How can I increase my chances of getting the building/room that I want?
Yes, provided that the room you want has not already been chosen by another student or is otherwise unavailable for Housing Reapplication. Upon logging into the Housing Management System students will be presented with a list of residence halls with available spaces. If a room or residence hall is missing from this list, then that space/building is no longer available for Housing Reapplication. Since the Housing Reapplication process operates on a "first come, first served" basis, students may increase the likelihood of getting the building/room that they want by checking their ASU email account frequently and responding to any invitation as quickly as possible.
How about roommates?
Students who receive an invitation to choose a room may also elect to invite a roommate(s) based upon the number of remaining vacant beds left in that room. Students may only invite others who have entered the Housing Reapplication process to be their preferred roommate(s). An email will be sent to each preferred roommate via their ASU email account notifying them of the roommate invitation. They will have a period of 48 hours to either accept or decline the invitation. Anyone not responding to a roommate invitation will automatically be treated as having declined the invitation after the 48 hour period has expired. If a preferred roommate either declines the roommate invitation or neglects to respond within the designated 48 hour time period then they will remain in the Housing Reapplication applicant pool and retain the same chance of being selected for on-campus housing as everyone else. The space in question will be made available for selection by another student invited to receive on-campus housing. The student who originated the roommate invitation will not be able to invite another roommate to fill the space.
What to Do If You Are Unable to Obtain On-Campus Housing
Appalachian State University provides assistance to students seeking other forms of off-campus housing through the Office of Off-Campus Community Relations. Students may contact their office at (828)262-8284.
The Housing Management System (HMS) will be unavailable for scheduled maintenance from Saturday, December 27th - Monday December 29th @ 5pm. This maintenance window is scheduled as part of the ITS Data Center Migration. Please see the data center move site for more information.