Service & Leadership
Do you want to develop your leadership skills and a personal philosophy of leadership? Do you have a heart for serving the community? The Service & Leadership community is for students who want to fully explore what it takes to leave a legacy at Appalachian State University and then work towards leaving a legacy of their own. Students who are looking to learn more about themselves and the world to which they belong are encouraged to join this unique living and learning experience. There will be many opportunities to work closely with the Appalachian & the Community Together (ACT) office and the Department of Student Engagement & Leadership. In addition, students in this RLC will enroll in a special section of First Year Seminar focused on social change and social issues during the fall semester and will participate in common time experiences throughout the year.
Members of Service & Leadership will have the opportunity to:
- Live with a diverse group of people who are like-minded in the values of leadership and service
- Become involved on campus in clubs and student organizations
- Organize service to the surrounding community
- Interact with multiple professional staff members in the areas of leadership and service
- Attend leadership conferences
- Connect with Service & Leadership alumni currently building their legacies at Appalachian
- Participate in (and complete) Emerging Leaders
- Participate in (and complete) Leadership 101
Members of Service & Leadership will be expected to:
- Enroll in a special section of First Year Seminar
- Participate in an opening retreat
- Complete a set of core experiences determined during the opening retreat
- Participate in community activities and events
- Become involved in developing community standards and planning the future of the community
As part of the Department of Student Engagement & Leadership, Leadership Development offers resources for Appalachian State students, staff, faculty, and the community. College is about developing skills that will help you succeed in your career and in life. Not only do you have the opportunity to learn more about your passions and interests, but you are able to broaden your mind and perspectives through your relationships with peers and colleagues. There are a number of leadership development opportunities for all students at Appalachian State University, and the Service and Leadershipi Residential Learning Community is an excellent example of how first year students can begin their journey of developing their leadership.
Appalachian & the Community Together
Appalachian & the Community Together (ACT) is Appalachian's clearinghouse for community service, service-learning, and community-based research opportunities within the North Carolina High Country area, as well as across the state, nation, and world. ACT offers diverse opportunities for individuals and student groups to get involved in human services and environmental advocacy, as well as assist faculty members and community partners with integrating community service projects into their academic courses and local agencies.
If you have any questions about an RLC please let us know!
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (828)262-8656
I really enjoy the family atmosphere found in an RLC. You have a home away from home in an RLC and you know that no matter what, the people on your floor will find a way to help you. It is nice to know that you always have someone to study or do homework with.Hannah, Svc. & Leadership
Rm. 321, John E. Thomas Hall
P.O. Box 32111
287 Rivers St.
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: (828) 262-2160
Fax: (828) 262-2945