The Outdoor Community is designed for students who are interested in developing and refining outdoor leadership skills, exploring career opportunities in outdoor recreation and want to be part of an interactive and fun-filled community. No previous experience required, only a desire to participate, learn and grow!
Students in this RLC will begin their experience by participating in First Ascent , Appalachian State University's wilderness orientation program for incoming first-year students.
Members of the Outdoor Community will have the opportunity to:
- Live and learn with other students who are interested in outdoor leadership and exploring careers in outdoor recreation
- Participate in outdoor skill development workshops and trainings hosted by Outdoor Programs
- Interact with committed faculty and staff who actively contribute to the field of outdoor programs
Members of the Outdoor Community will be expected to:
- Enroll in a special section of First Year Seminar
- Pay a community fee of $250 for First Ascent and other community-related programs
- Participate in First Ascent
- Participate in community activities and events
- Personalize the community by helping to decorate individual doors and bulletin boards
- Become involved in developing community standards and planning the future of the community
For more than 30 years, Outdoor Programs has served the educational, recreational, and developmental needs of the Appalachian State University community by utilizing human-powered outdoor adventure pursuits, experiential education and the natural environment. From day trips offered on most weekends to month-long expeditions around the world, Outdoor Programs fills a tremendous role for the outdoor-minded student attending Appalachian.
Department of Recreation Management & Physical Education
Established in 2014 after evolving from the Department of Health, Leisure and Exercise Science, the Department of Recreation Management & Physical Education resides in the prestigious College of Health Sciences. The Department is pleased to honor the legacy of such noble Mountaineers by continuing to offer a variety of innovative and rigorous student-centered programs and services, each of which share a commitment to achieving its mission and pursuing its vision.
If you have any questions about an RLC please let us know!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (828)262-8656
The Outdoor Community has positively helped me get involved in college as well as helped me make friends with similar interests.Sydney, Outdoor
Rm. 321, John E. Thomas Hall
P.O. Box 32111
287 Rivers St.
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: (828) 262-2160
Fax: (828) 262-2945