RA Application & Selection Process
Resident Assistant for 2018-2019:
- October 29 - November 2017: Mandatory information sessions (see note below)
- October 29, 2017: Application opens
- December 10, 2017: Application closes
- January 22 - February 2, 2018: Interviews
- January 31, 2018: Reference submission deadline
* Mandatory information sessions are held from 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm in Plemmons Student Union's Beacon Heights (417) or Rough Ridge (417) rooms. Applicants must attend only ONE session.
Application & Selection Process
Step 1: Research the position
Being a Resident Assistant (RA) can be one of the most enriching and rewarding experiences of your college career. The relationships you develop and the leadership training and experience that you gain will serve you long beyond the time that you are a staff member with University Housing. The RA position, however, is also a very challenging one. A live-in position can be hard to balance. We encourage candidates to familiarize themselves with the responsibilities and expectations of being an RA before applying. You can do this by reading the application materials and talking to your RA or other University Housing staff members. These contacts will help you decide if the position is right for you and can help you with being prepared for the interview process.
Step 2: Attend an information session
All candidates must attend an information session in order to be eligible to move forward with an interview. Candidates will get the opportunity to meet with current staff, ask questions about the RA position, and learn more about the interview process. Candidates will only receive a link to the application by attending an information session.
Step 3: Complete the Resident Assistant Application
Be sure to plan enough time to meet the application deadline. A complete application includes the following materials:
- Completed electronic application
- Electronic résumé
- References completed by people listed by you
- Please note that references are not notified to complete their electronic form until your application is submitted
Step 4: Interview process
For qualified candidates interviewing for an RA position, this will consist of a personal interview and a representation of self-created by the candidate. Candidates are scored on applications, résumé, references, an individual interview, and the representation of self. (Note: the Resident Assistant Recruitment & Selection committee will process all applications to ensure that they are complete and that candidates meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If for any reason your application is incomplete or you are not eligible to interview the committee will contact you regarding your status in the selection process).
If you have any questions about the RA position please let us know!Brandon Nelson
Assistant Director, Staff Selection
Rm. 321, John E. Thomas Hall
P.O. Box 32111
287 Rivers St.
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: (828) 262-2160
Fax: (828) 262-2945